Monday, May 24, 2010

Special Days

I was talking with some friends at church and as usual conversation lead to why our children were dictating our plans. It is the joy of a parent to work their lives around their children's needs and I don't begrudge them that time. I mentioned that I was leaving just after church because K was having a special morning and I needed to go rescue Daddy.

Another mom said, she liked that term as it was a much more positive way to look at those rough mornings. I have to give credit where it is due. One of the teachers at my preschool uses that term for one of her more challenging students, when he is having a particularly difficult day.

I adopted it. :D K, is an internalizer and you never know when what you say to her is going to come out slightly skewed and self-deprecating. I do not use the words stupid, bad, or dumb, as K will take those words and turn them against herself. I will tell her she's done something wrong, made a choice I don't like or the like.

I try really hard to make sure that if I am talking to or about her, she doesn't hear something that will make her feel bad about herself. Self esteem even in little ones, is fragile and easily broken, and like Humpty Dumpty difficult to put back together.

So, I say, enjoy your special days, and remember that tomorrow will be better.

1 comment:

  1. oh, I can appreciate your comments & advice! both as a counselor & as a mom...

    ReplyDelete