Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Stumbling Block

When is the time to look at something in your life that you don't like and change it? Do you wait until you just can't take it any more or do you nip it in the bud from day one? I ask myself this question a lot, not because there are a lot of things in my life I don't like, but because I want to be a better me.

I also ask myself if there are things that I am doing that may be a stumbling block to someone I love and if so what can I do about that? Is there a simple fix, like "defriending" someone on Facebook, so that my loved one isn't faced with a past memory that haunts them, or does this require more from me. Such as changing the way I communicate with someone close to me.

Do I need to worry about these things at all?

Yes, yes I do. Scripture tells us not to be a stumbling block for another, making sure our actions do not cause another to sin. That's heavy stuff if you ask me. I don't know if Paul was intending this to go outside of eating idol sacrifices, but what I do know is that I can apply his words to my life. I think it's hard sometimes to look at something you are doing, and know that it is causing someone else to slip and fall. You then yourself struggle with guilt, remorse and often times anger because now you have to change how you behave.

ooh, excuse me *steps down off her soap box*

I find myself in an introspective place at the moment, some from reading my sister's blog, some from an epiphany I had at work today. Each morning I come in to work and my Director and I exchange good mornings and I ask how she is and she asks how I am. Usually she tells me fine, and I...well I'm more detailed and I realized today that I complain a lot about my life. I seem to find myself wrapped up and bothered by the little things. So I decided just then that the next time she asks me that I will say two positive things first and only one negative, then follow that up with one more positive. I truly don't wish to be the stumbling block that causes my co-workers to have a bad day or for their thoughts to turn negative because of my attitude toward my own life.

Wish me luck!

~Sarah

2 comments:

  1. Good luck. I struggle with that too. I will try to make the change with you. Maybe there's strength in numbers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always found it easier to make a change when you have a buddy with you!

    ReplyDelete