Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The School Lunch Revolution

I am appaled as I sit here and write this post. I stumbled upon the blog Fed Up With Lunch: The School Lunch Project and began to read. I was so fascinated that I started from the very beginning and read through today's post. It is unreal what her school's cafeteria is serving the children and calling nutritional.

What is it in those lunches that they consider 1/3 of a child's daily nutrition. Is a fruit cup really considered a serving of fruit and do those little ketchup packages stand in for their second serving of vegetables?

It makes me very glad that the lunches my children are served at least look smell and taste like real food and they are offered several vegetable and fruit choices. When I have eaten lunch with my girls, I have noticed that most of the children have at least one of those veggies and one of those fruits on their tray with their main dish choice and their carton of 1% milk.

So I have done some more digging and I found Jamie Oliver's Food Revelution. If you have children of school age, I urge you to visit both of the websites and get involved to the best of your ability.

I can only hope that we can cause our government to really look and see what it is that these school districts are feedin gour children and calling it nutrition.


What I learned today: All children, not just my own need advocates, we need to fight for what they are learning and give them the tools to make good food choices, especially when they only receive that teaching at school.

No comments:

Post a Comment