Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Mouse in My Car

Okay, so on Tuesday I went out to my car and noticed an odd smell. No big deal there must be something left behind by the kids in the car somewhere. So I look around and find a milk container. Surely that was the culprit, then went about my day.

After a wonderful experience watching Harry Potter, I ran to a retail store, and the smell was still there. Okay, fine, I didn't find it. I was in the store maybe 30 minutes and by the time I got back out to the car the smell was overwhelming. Okay...fine I call C and he comes down stairs and we begin to clean out the little bit of mess in the car. Still the smell is there. So C pulls up the mat in the front and we found mouse droppings, well damn.

What is it about the Malibu that the mice like? This makes our second mousey visitor. C pulls the panels from around the console and we found a little mouse nest and upon vacuuming it all out and getting the car back together, the smell was still there.

I ran it up to Lamb's and told him my trouble. He went out and sniffed about in the car and said, yup, something has died in there, but I can't help you tonight, I close in an hour. Crap.

So this morning, I took my sad smelly car to Lamb's. They pulled off the panels, took out the seat, took off the door, and sniffed their way to where they thought he might be. Using a camera scope, they found the dead little mouse in... get this, the door frame.

Not the door panel, or the a/c box, or a duct, but in the actual metal frame tube that the car is built around. You know the only metal, save the engine, in my car? The only way to get to dead mouse...cutting the frame open, clean him out and weld it back together.

Enter the insurance company. Thank you, hubby for insisting we have the most comprehensive coverage you can get on a car, sure it's a little expensive, but they are going to pay to take care of what has now been declared a health hazard and provide a rental car and I'm only out fifty bucks.


Yeah...so now I'm going to have dead decaying thing sitting in the frame of my car until Monday when the insurance claims guy goes out and inspects the car, then they will find the best solution for getting out the freaking health hazard, and then... I'll get my sad stinky car back.

*sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment