Thursday, February 25, 2010

Crazy Little Thing Called Temptation

I do not resist temptation well. Case in point, I have a little glass fish candy dish, (thank you for the sweet birthday gift B,) sitting on my desk full of miniature version of several different candy bars. I have this as a ministry to my staff. Because when you work with 9 small children from 9 different families with 9 different parenting philosophies, you need a chocolate fix every once in a while.

I usually buy a mix that has very little of what I enjoy eating, but this time I bought the Hershey's miniatures, and I happen to love all but the dark chocolate ones, so I find myself pulling a piece out of the fish's mouth several times a day. I rationalize this with, it's just one little piece it won't ruin all the hard work I'm doing to try and get myself to a healthy weight so that I can look into corrective surgery for my shoulder.

I have on many occasions tried to remove caffeine from my diet and I find that it is all I think about, over and over and over...man I need a coke, I could use some caffeine. This does not just apply to food, but to other things in my life as well.

I am tempted each and every morning to stay in bed, just five more minutes which usually turns into 9 (you know when the snooze goes off again). The same is said for stopping for coffee, though I can prevent that most times by being in the wrong traffic lane for turning into the H-E-B that houses my favorite coffee shop.

But what did you learn today, you ask? Ah, today I learned that I can in fact resist the most insidious of temptations, goofing off. I left work early so that I could be with my kids while my husband attended a meeting via webcam conferencing. (They stayed home from school due to fever.) And what I really wanted to do was lay down in bed and chill with my handy dandy laptop. I even came into the room, plugged in the machine and pushed the little button.

As I sat and waited for it to boot up, it occurred to me that I would not be home during my usual chore time tonight due to praise band rehearsal. So I sent the machine back to sleep, after a bit of an inner debate over what I needed to do and wanted to do, and went into the kitchen. I got all the dishes washed, swept and swiffered the floor, and started a load of laundry. It felt good to get those chores done. When I was finished it was time to take the girls to the doctor. While there, instead of playing silly clicky games, I got half a chapter in my novel written.

I'm actually quite proud of my choices today. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment