Monday, April 11, 2011

Another Mommy Moment

I think sometimes I forget that my children are getting older with each passing day. I get stuck in the same old grind of the everyday get up, get dressed, get them off to school, go to work, come home, badger them into doing homework, dinner, chores, and bedtime, that I forget that that was one of the finite number of days I'll have them here with me.

And then something reminds me that each day is indeed another step to their leaving the nest. Case in point; B lost her very last baby tooth today. That very last molar that has been hanging on for dear life to her pink little gums, finally gave up the ghost and went the way of all baby teeth.

How did she let me know of this momentous occasion? Via text "i just lost m tooth"

That was it. No exclamation points, not capital letters, not even an emoticon. I sighed softly, and then gave her my equally calm response...
"Cool! Well not cool to loose it on the bus."

But it was a small and poignant reminder that my sweet little girl is growing up and not too long from now she'll be dating, driving, then going off to college. It made me a bit weepy, just to think about it, to which my husband commented, "It's just a tooth Sarah."

And he's right it is just a tooth, but it was the last one, there isn't anything baby left. She's well and firmly on the road to adulthood. It's enough to make a mama lay down and bawl. Or get up and go get the dishes done, the car cleaned out and the oil changed, because after all life goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment